Young chicken with huge scabby growth on crop area??!! PICS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daze333, May 25, 2010.

1. daze333

daze333 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hi,
    I have this chicken (about 6-8 mo old) that is half banty frizzle and half millie fleur. My flock free ranges during the day and is locked in a good sized coop at night with straw bedding. He/she (haven't figured it out yet) roosts on an old wooden ladder with other chickens. It is not showing any odd behavior. It is eating, scratching, drinking water and moving around. Last night I reached up to pet it's chest and felt dried scabby stuff, so I took it inside to inspect. It has a huge hard ball where it's crop should be! It is almost as big as a tennis ball and very hard like a tennis ball! It's skin is stretched tight and it is scabby, with red and yellow scabs on the outside. At first I thought this was it's crop, but this looks like it has been there a while and I figure if it were her crop it would be dead by now. It is probably 2-3 pounds. I compared it's body mass with it's moms (frizzle) last night and they are very similar, so I don't think it is underweight.
    Other than being a little off balance when it bends over, it's behavior seems normal.
    I love this little chicken, but I am not prepared to pay for expensive vet bills. I am not squeamish if somebody were to suggest me cutting it open or something. Please help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. daze333

daze333 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Is there anyone out there that has seen this before? I am concerned and want to do something for it.
    Thanks

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Is there anyway you can peel of the "gunk" or try to give her a bath?

4. Chicken's love baths... try soaking in warm water... wash with something VERY mild like Johnsons and Johnsons and if you have do NOT use boric acid (peroxide) it's too harsh for their meat. If you have to use something topical maybe some neosporin. And DEF separate that little guy/gal from her flock mates.

(I'm a newbie here but have been researching for 2 years so take it or leave it. lol Hope I helped!)

5. fratermus

fratermus In the Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Point, Rains county, Tx
    Some kind of dermatitis cause by allergy, staph, parasites, deficiency or something? Any supplemental feed besides free ranging? That might be able to rule out deficiency.

I agree with gentle washing and something topical like neosporin. It will be interesting to see, after washing/softening, if there is any pus or anything hiding in there. If nutrient deficiency is suspected, maybe some supplements?

Will stay tuned to see what we figure out.

6. daze333

daze333 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thank you for your thoughts. This hard lump is stretching the skin and then it got scabby because it is rubbing or something. I can wash the scabby stuff, but I am alot more concerned about this big lump!
    I feed 16% layer ration in pellets and crumbles. In the am I throw a handful of black oily sunflower seeds and cracked corn to the whole flock (40 birds). They also get kitchen scraps and sometimes I cook soybeans or oatmeal for them. I also use Fastrack probiotcs on top of their food.
    Any other ideas?

7. fratermus

fratermus In the Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Point, Rains county, Tx
    Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the surface scab was hard but not necessarily the flesh underneath. I think the skin is scabby now from the distension underneath.

A couple of articles about distended/impacted and pendulous crops can be associated with free-ranging if the chicken eats too much "fibrous roughage".

Also, post #8 in this thread here on BYC may be relevant.

8. daze333

daze333 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hi and thanks for the sites. I did some more research and read in my chicken health handbook. I really thought it was an impacted crop and it must be easy to open and empty it. So I called my state vet to confirm a few details and tried it. I cut on the side of the big lump where the skin is smooth and tight. I thought it would be thin but it was very thick and tough. The skin was like glued down and I couldn't even lift it with a pair of tweezers. When I tried to cut the incision a little longer I hit a vein and it took a while to get the bleeding to stop. It scared me, so I stitched and super glued it shut and decided to stop. I called the state vet back and she said it is most likely a tumor. After I finished I put him (I feel like it is a him) in a kennel, he pooped several times. I could see the crumbles in his pooh, so I don't think his digestion is plugged up. The vet suggested giving him antibiotics for the open wound and of course keeping him separate. But after he is back to normal to just weigh him like once a month to make sure he is not loosing weight. I might start with once a week.
    I gave him food and water and he is gobbling it down. Seems normal other than the giant ball in his throat. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks for the support!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: