Young chicken with seizures?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silver archeress, Jul 14, 2011.

1. silver archeress

silver archeress New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Hi,

My children have been raising 4 chicks, they are now almost 3 months old. One of them, a silver lakenvelder has not been developing the same as the others. SHe is smaller and shaped more like a pigeon with shorter neck and more horizontal body. SHe is shyer and slower than the others. She got stepped on when she was 2 months old by a friend's toddler and had what looked like a seizure. At the time I thought she was going to die, but after laying on her back and shaking for 10 minutes, she recovered fully.

The chicks are now with the older hens. This morning when I went to let out animals, I found her laying on her back and shaking again. I stayed with her for 20 minutes, but it didn't stop. I layed her in a box with hay and went to work in the garden. An hour later I found her recovered and let her out.

I wonder what is going on? I don't think it's something the other chickens can catch, as none of the other chicks h ave gotten it. SHe has only had two episodes, and I wonder if it's brought on by fright. The hens do crowed like crazy around the gate when I let them out, perhaps she got trampled??? The first time, she obviously stepped on, so that would make sense.

I would love to hear any thoughts, recomendations.
    Thank You so much.
    Brigitta

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I am so sorry to hear about your chick that was stepped on. How unfortunate. However if she received some brain damage and is having seizures, I am not sure there is much you can do for her. You could try getting her on a vitamin program to maybe help increase her nutrients. Keep her comfortable. And pay special attention to her. Maybe as she grows up, she will adapt to things if she is afraid of stampedes.

But again, I am sorry and I don't think there is much you can do for her other than extra love. Maybe someone else will chime in here tonight with an answer for you. So sorry. [​IMG]

3. silver archeress

silver archeress New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Thanks for the words of support. I have been searching on the net and it does seem like head injury....bummer. Started to give her vitamins and supplements. Not sure what else I can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by