Young Chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Dec 22, 2008.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    We were out doing some grocery shopping this weekend. I will be getting my cornishes butchered this week, so I stopped to take a look in the chicken area. I was looking at the size and weights of all the chicken. I noticed one brand had "young chicken" on the label. After thinking about it, what a deceiving type of advertisement. Young is such a relative term. Knowing what I know now, by young do they mean 6 weeks old instead of 7 or 8 weeks? I just thought this was an interesting observation. Using peoples uneducatedness to sell their product.

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    In meats young usually refers to tenderness in peoples mind. Producers will use anything to give themselves an edge in industry.
    Even if it's manipulating words and twisting them in such a way to make someone think "hey this seems like a good deal".

See for a lot of people that raise their own, the advertisment is done by the way the chickens are raised. When people come to my farm they see first hand how they are raised, and from there people make an educated decision on what they want.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I may have to make a trip up to your farm sometime. I am about 3-4 hours from Akron. I'd be very interested in seeing your set-up.

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah anytime, the website doesn't do it any justice. It's about 4 years old and a lot has changed since then. I'm just waiting to update the site since we now operate on Cuyahoga Valley National Park property so a lot of legal issues have to be worked out before we advertise our location. The Website we are currently making has to go through a board of members and get approved before I upload it.

Here is a link to help you better to understand. Our farm is the Martin Farm under this link which is now Brunty Farms.

http://www.cvcountryside.org/Website/countryside_initiative/cvnp_farming.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by