Young Chickens And Rain

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Boomchickaboomboomboom, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Boomchickaboomboomboom

Boomchickaboomboomboom Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Our chickens are about 7 weeks old (two are younger). They have only been outside a few days. They have never gone back into the coop willingly, but I make them go in early so that I don't have to worry about them. They do go out on their own, so I assume they could make it back in if they wanted, but so far none of them have ever wanted to go in.

They want to go out this morning (the window they go through is a display window, that we made be their door, so they can see outside through it), but it is a cool 65 degrees, and we recieved a light rain earlier so the ground is wet. There is a chance for more rain today, but it is not raining now.

I just don't know whether I should go ahead and let them outside where they want to be, or leave them inside for my peace of mind. While inside they are bored and fight with each other so I'd like to leave them out for that reason, but I surely don't want them to become sick because they didn't come in out of the rain.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    If you are going to be home, I say let them out...just check on them to make sure that they are not all cuddling up on the wet ground trying to stay warm

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    If its a storm coming I would leave them locked up other wise let them out. Let them decide on what they wanna do. The rain won't make them sick. Leave the coop door open so if they want they can go back in. Mine usually get under a tractor or my deck. Although it hardly ever rains we are in the worst drought right now & its over 100 degrees everyday.

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My chicks are 7 weeks also and they will stay out in a light rain to play. It hasn't hurt them yet. If the rain picks up they do go back into their coop until it gets lighter again. Good luck.

5. Boomchickaboomboomboom

May 25, 2011
    Thank you all for your reply. I am making myself crazy since this is my first time raising chickens. I appreciate the advice more than you know.

6. hoppalongg

hoppalongg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Ha! Question answered. I have a mixed flock of Americanas, Silver Leghorns and Cornish X. Only the Cornish need guidance back into the coop at evening so I was worried about them in the rain. Is it just me or are Cornish not very smart?

7. Boomchickaboomboomboom

May 25, 2011
    I don't have any cornish....sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by