Young chickens aren't laying everyday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenfriendly, Aug 26, 2011.

1. chickenfriendly

chickenfriendly Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    I have a total of 13 chickens and I have started getting egg production from four of my chickens. I normally get an egg from them once a day, However some days I might not get one from one of them. Is this normal with new layers? Obviously they have started off as little eggs but have gotten bigger. I just want to make sure this is normal as I have read that chickens lay like clockwork. Anyone have any comments for me. It would be very much appreciated. Thanks

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Not all chickens lay eggs every day. It really depends on the breed. [​IMG]

3. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new . . . so can't offer experienced advise.

But here's what's happening with my "March 15th 2011" chicks.

There are three Buff Orpingtons and three Black Australops.

"They" just started laying.

For the last three days I've gotten one brown egg each day.

I think one of the BA's is doing all the work . . . but I suspect the others will start "helping" soon.

-:>Kevin

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    A hen's laying cycle, on average, is about 26 hours. Some hens' cycles are a little longer. This means each day, a hen will lay an egg a little later than the previous day's egg was laid... until she finally "skips" a day - when her egg becomes ready too late in the day, and then she will hold it overnight, to lay the next morning.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have two that lay almost every day...but take a break once in a while and two that probably lay about 4 times per week. It does depend on breed.

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:That's interesting...my new layer laid an egg Tuesday afternoon, then Thurday morning, and now Friday afternoon. Seems like she is on a slightly longer cycle. Then again, it could be just adjusting as a new layer. So I don't expect an egg from her tomorrow (Saturday).

I'm Ok if it takes her a little longer to lay an egg. I've heard horror stories of early layers becoming egg-bound so I'd rather she didn't push her system. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by