Young chickens having trouble standing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by diverkell, Oct 26, 2011.

1. diverkell

diverkell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicopee, MA
    Can anybody tell me what might be going on? A week ago I had a young hen that was laying on her side and having trouble getting up. I thought her pen mates had beat her up so I moved her. Today she was doing it again and her pen mate was picking on her. I took her in and she stood up and ate and drank. She seems fine now. I just went out and noticed one of my young roosters from the same batch is acting the same way. I have him in and he's eating. Still having trouble keeping his feet under him though. I gave them both a dose of vitamins. Any ideas? They are both on grower since they are young. They are a few months old. Not exactly sure since I got them at an auction.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Is the grower medicated or plain? I had a problem 2 years ago while using medicated grower. My 4 month old pullets suddenly became unable to stand, just flopped around when they tried to move. I tried vitamins, antibiotics and nothing happened. I lost 9 of 12 birds, switched over to NON medicated and the remaining three were totally fine within a couple of days.

I will never use medicated grower again.

3. diverkell

diverkell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicopee, MA
    The grower is medicated. I'm not sure if I can get the unmedicated type right now. The stores seem to have a very limited supply right now. I will look later today. The hen is standing still this morning but the rooster is still laying down. Both are eating and drinking.....and pooping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by