Young chickens laying sporadically

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hanie, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Hanie

Hanie Out Of The Brooder

I just wanted to get opinions on this -

My four girls started laying 12 days ago at about 20 weeks old. They all laid on that day (!) and then stopped for two days. Since then there has only been one egg per day and I have an idea which chicken it is but not 100% sure. And then today there were two eggs; again we can only guess at whose they are. I think all up it equals 14 eggs over 12 days between all four of them.
    Is it normal for them to lay so few eggs in the beginning?

Thanks!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It's very normal when hens first start laying to be on and off. Things will smooth out as they progress, but remember that it is now almost winter and with shorter days and less sunlight that, too, will contribute to less egg production. Me personally? I let my girls have a very well deserved 'rest' this time of year.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Its not unusual. They gotta get the kinks worked out of the system. You might also get some little bitty fairy eggs or very soft shelled eggs. Make sure you have a good quality layer feed and oyster shell available to them. If they free range they could be laying anywhere wiyhout you knowing it.

4. katekearby

katekearby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    My hens are 8 months old and 2 of them have been taking a break for a while now, they look healthy and fine, We are going in to fall, the 2 that aren't laying are EEs, are they warm weather hens? One of the EEs is laying fine, the other 4, 2 rocks and 2 NH Reds are usually 100% every day. Not too concerned, have more eggs then I could ever need, selling some. Just wonder about the health and well being of the hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by