Young chickens limping/hopping when walking

grobbul

Hatching
Feb 2, 2020
Hello everyone, I bought 2 months ago 10 6-week old chickens and everything seemed fine. After a few weeks I've noticed that one of them is kind of limping, but I was like ok it might have hurt itself and that everything will be fine and the leg will recover sooner or later. After a while another one started limping. Today almost every chicken from that group is walking weirdly, what I mean is that they seem to limp or hop when running, definitely not the way a healthy chicken would run. Other than that they seem perfectly fine - they eat well, they are not sad or lethargic, their poops aren't runny - no diarrhoea. I've read several articles about chicken diseases and none of them point out a specific disease. I'd suspect vitamine deficiency, but they were given vitamins with the drinking water. Any ideas what that could be? No blisters/ injuries on their legs whatsoever. Also, their legs couldnt have frozen because they are not sleeping on the ground and even if they did they have straw that they like to sit on.

Last edited:
I dont think the roost is the problem, because its only about 95 centimeters high. Young chickens use that roost every year before they are moved to the adults and there never was such a problem with their walking.

Back
Top Bottom