Young chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boatman126, Sep 8, 2009.

1. boatman126

boatman126 New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Newark on Trent England
    Hope someone can help. We have three young hens which were bought point of lay 8 weeks ago. They have only laid the odd egg now and again, which I think is from the same hen.
    The other two do not seem to lay at all. They have a pellet feeder which only seems to empty very slowly. Is it possible that they do not like pellets? Can anyone help us and suggest what to do to get them laying.
    The breed is Bovain Goldline.
    They have there own outdoor run which is about 12 foot square and they are allowed out in the garden every day for about 2 hours. We will look forward to your help.

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Do they LOOK ready to lay? Bright red wattles and combs, not the shrunken pale pullet type.

I hear that the shock of a move can throw them off egg-laying for quite a while, but I don't know how long.

LOTS of chickens do not like pellets. Most seem to prefer lay crumble.
    Also give them oyster shell and grit at all times. Keep a little container for them to peck from.

3. boatman126

boatman126 New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Newark on Trent England
    Thank you.
    Can I put layers crumb in the same feeder?
    One of ourhens is nice and red. The others started to get red but have not changed over the last two or three weeks.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    All three of your hens should be eating lay crumble. You can just put a little on the ground or in a feeder. The oyster shell and grit COULD be put in the same feeder, but it would be difficult to get the right amounts that way.

I just take a handful of shell and grit and put it in the corner of the chicken yard, tucked in pretty well. That way, they don't scratch it into the earth the same way they do everything else. Other people put the shell into a little bowl or something.

Some hens need more shell than others, and you'll find out who needs it by who you see at the shell pile more often.

By your description of how they look, only one should be laying. They won't start laying at the same time. They could be days, even months, apart.

5. boatman126

boatman126 New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Newark on Trent England
    Thanks again Eggs4sale for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by