Young chickens perching on us?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LadyWoodsong, May 25, 2010.

1. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    I am new here and new to having chickens.

We have 12 young chicks (well, they're probably about 2 months old now, I guess....) and when myself and my two young sons went out to check on them tonight (it would have been early evening, about 7:30 pm), the chicks seemed very friendly toward us.

We got them when they were about 2 weeks old and we didn't handle them a whole lot, just a little here and there. So it surprised me at how friendly they seemed tonight. They really seemed to hover around us and one actually jumped up on my son's lap and sat there for quite a while before hopping to his shoulder and then made a nice little spot on the back of his neck to sit. It was funny and weird at the same time to have them be that way toward us.

A little while later, another one hopped up on my leg and then another, then I held my arm out straight to see what they would do and they both hopped up on my arm.

Is this ok to let them do this to us? Is there some sort of "bird psychology" I should know about? Will they "think" they have the "upper hand" with us? lol I feel strange asking these questions, but I don't want to encourage behavior that is going to bite us in the butt at a later date.

Please advise! Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    They like you and have decided they're very comfortable with you. Sounds like some of them could become "lap chickens" / pets.

Not a problem unless you just don't want them to be so friendly.

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Our young ones we have hatched here do that and it makes for wonderful pets......but they might do it when they get older too lol!!!! We have one ole gal if you sit down she is automatically in your lap or trying to perch on an arm. If you don't mind that it isn't a big deal and my kids love it but if you don't want a full grown chicken in your lap or on your arm or shoulder you might want to discourage it now.

4. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Thank you....that is good news. I was afraid it could be some dominance thing or something lol

My children were happy to learn that they like us. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They've accepted you. They know where the treats come from!

6. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a few California Whites when i walk in the coop in the evening they will fly up to my back and sit on my shoulder LOL [​IMG] I think it's cute..

7. tigerkitten45

tigerkitten45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    NH
    Just be careful of your eyes, they are attracted to shiny things and are very curious, lol!

8. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah that is what i worry about thier beaks are getting bigger they are 6 weeks old now....[​IMG] i try not to look at em when they are there just talk to em [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am glad I wear glasses, for that exact reason. I've got a couple of chickens that like to perch on my lap, arms, or shoulders. They are attracted to the lenses and frames, but can't get to my eyes. I know it's just a "something shiny" issue, not a "go for the whites of her eyes and peck through to her brain" situation. [​IMG]

10. magic maker

magic maker Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by