Young chicks and peer pressure - hanging with a bad crowd :(

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Making coop repairs yesterday DH was forced to leave a small space of styrofoam exposed where the chickens could get at it. Nothing to be done for it. I knew the adult birds were going to have a field day this morning.

Took a peek inside the coop early this morning to see how everyone is doing; especially my broody that ain't happening!. Of course I hear the birds pecking at the styrofoam, though at that angle I couldn't see them. I expected that.

Through the window I attempted a headcount on my youngest chicks, 9 of em, all two weeks old. Count came up minus 4; forcing me to unlock everything to go in and look in the areas I can't see.

Right there between the legs of the various troublemaking adults were the four chicks, just peck! peck! pecking! away at that styrofoam.

You try to raise them in a good home, fill their little bodies with the proper nutrition, send em to the best schools......
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
Eating the styrofoam doesn't harm them? We use it to insulate and it makes such a mess. We are careful to cover it all up with the plywood we use for the interior walls, but I'm forever picking up the tiny pieces because I was afraid if they ate it, it would harm them in some way.

Quote:
lau.gif
Eating the styrofoam doesn't harm them? We use it to insulate and it makes such a mess. We are careful to cover it all up with the plywood we use for the interior walls, but I'm forever picking up the tiny pieces because I was afraid if they ate it, it would harm them in some way.

If it harmed them my older flock would have been dead years ago. Good for them? No. Will they eat it given the chance? You betcha!
roll.png

Quote:
lau.gif

If it harmed them my older flock would have been dead years ago. Good for them? No. Will they eat it given the chance? You betcha!
roll.png

Well, that is good to know so I no longer need to freak out if I miss a teeny piece when cleaning up.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom