young chicks killing young chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hddave2, Feb 18, 2012.

1. hddave2

hddave2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    whats up with that...i got 7 five week old chicks and they are killing anything i put in with them...the chicks that were put in with them were about 3.5 to 4 weeks old and not much smaller than the killers...whats up with that...is this normal...dang if this keeps up i'll have to build seperate pins every single time i hatch eggs...anyone else have this problem...the pen i keep them in is a 7ft long x 4ft wide x 40inch tall...

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I think you need to separate. I keep mine separate from the rest till the youngest are 3 months. They can all see each other thou, so it not new. But I do not let my 6 wk chicks with my adults, or my 2 week chicks and moms near the 6 wk chicks.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'm sorry, but you are violating some basic rules of chicken society. The chicken develops a tightly knit, rigid, social order. By two weeks, the "flock", even a flock of chicks, know who is who and a new chick is often regarded as an intruder. This is nature's way and we as keepers must understand it.

An established flock of older birds can literally peck and kill a new bird introduced improperly. Pack dogs, wolves, etc, do a similar thing in the canine world.
    Adoption into the flock takes gentle care and sensitivity. A day to two where the separate flocks can smell, see, and listen to each other, and build some familiarity, safely behind a screen that divides them, often helps in the initiation and introduction.

In a close space of a brooder, there is no place, typically, for the "stranger" to run and hide. Chicks of 5-6 weeks old are so much more mature than a one week or two week old chick. I would find the "window of opportunity" closes at just about 14 days of difference in age. That's my experience. Some breeds are more accepting, but one never knows how a disruption in the flock dynamic will cause them to react.

1 person likes this.
  4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Since your pen is plenty big, why not put a wire wall down the middle temporarily and brood the two groups side-by-side?

5. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    thats exactly what im going to do...lost 4 nice chicks and im not wanting to loose anymore..i got 5- 2 week old chicks in the house and 10 eggs in the incubator...

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Very well said, Fred...........Pop

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I mixed ages with my chicks by 3 weeks... BUT, they were all thrown together at the same time so I wasn't adding chicks to an established order. That makes all of the difference.

8. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    [​IMG]

9. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    these are the best pics i can get...not sure if anyone can tell whats roo or hen....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by