1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young chooks leg has gotten a ton worse...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mustangrooster, Nov 7, 2016.

1. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I *think* i posted a while back about one of my chicks who had a twisted leg and crooked foot. Well, things have gotten worse.

For a while i tried to improve it by splinting and such, but no success. And when she first developed this when she was just a little week old chick, i tried band-aids as suggested online. Still no success.

Its gotten to a point where little Sprinkles foot is twisted to a state that the side of her foot is what she moves around on, and her toes are crooked. Her leg is still twisted, and her hock is very swollen. When she walks, The good side where her legs is,is where her body hangs high, the side where her leg is bad and crooked, is where her bad droops to the ground. (Best way i could describe it...) She gets along ok, but is struggling.

Is there anything i can do to help her? Or is it a dead end? She is seemingly happy, so i do not intend to cull her as long as it doesn't get any worse then this...

Will add pic soon.

Thanks...
    Mustang

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't getting picked on and is getting enough to eat. Otherwise I'd just let her be.
    Hope she keeps going strong!

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of her, the toes, the legs and the swollen hock?
    How old is she?

I am sure that you have read all you can, so this may be repeat(s).

Add some B2(Riboflavin) to her daily intake. If you can't find a poultry vitamin with it, then give a Human B-Complex tablet (no iron) - crush it up and add it to her feed.

The swollen hock is concerning, does it ooze or have any "bubbling'?

4. mustangrooster

Im positive that her condition is beyond fixing with meds now, and there was a possibility that she got trampled by the ducks when she was little---she was a runt .

No, there is no oozing or bubbling, its just swelled up. I believe it may be from all the strain its under, and the fact that pretty much all of her body weight is falling onto that leg....

I took some pics, although she wouldn't stay still for very long so it was hard to catch how bad the condition looks...

[​IMG]
    ^That is the normal position of her foot that im referring too..

[​IMG]
    ^Often thats the position of her foot when she walks, if she wants to run, she'll flap her wings and run along

[​IMG]
    ^Thats a normal position for her, notice the leg position? Yes, thats how it always is-its not straight

[​IMG]
    ^This is her normal leg

[​IMG]
    ^No words needed...

[​IMG]
    ^Thats her bad side-where her body hangs low.

[​IMG]
    ^The good side of her body...does that make sense?

Thats all the pics for now..

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree, that the leg looks like it can't be fixed. Also agree the swelling is likely caused by so much usage, but it is concerning. It sounds like she is fairly mobile, eating, drinking, etc.

The only thing I can think of it to monitor her, especially the swelling - watch for signs of infection at the joints- excessive swelling, oozing, bruising (discoloration), redness, odors, etc.

You may want to consider giving her a "time-out" in a sling a couple of hours a day, if she will tolerate it. This may help alleviate some of the pressure and keep her immobile for a little while each day. Some chickens will do o.k. in one, others...well, they get out, so you would have to just see if it works.

If you have a vet, they may be able to give you some anti-inflammatory meds. For pain (if she seems to be in pain) you can use aspirin, but would only use it if necessary.

Does she roost at night?

I think the goal would be keep her going as long as she can go, so if all else fails, let her be, love and enjoy her and see what happens.

Chicken sling ideas:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1115597/need-a-chicken-sling

Link to aspirin solution:
    http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  6. mustangrooster

Indeed she is fairly mobile. If she just stood there, being miserable, i would consider a plan B. Thankyou for the sling idea, i will be constructing a sling soon, i feel like she needs it...Shes still little, so i may as well try it now rather than later..

How exactly does a chicken take aspirin? Dissolving it in water?

She does not roost at night with her hatch mates/siblings. Instead, she sleeps on the ground. She cant grip onto anything with the injured leg---really she just has one working leg now.

Just like to mention...her hock is slightly discolored. May be bruising im guessing. The camera wont catch on the color of the hock though.

I appreciate your input. Its another one of those wait and see games and im not to good at those ones [​IMG]

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Here's the aspirin solution recipe. It would make a gallon, which you don't need for just her. I use 1 low dose Bayer aspirin in 1 quart of water (Bayer low dose is 81mg). Or use something similar.

ASPIRIN SOLUTION
    Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.
    Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.
    Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day. (Reference site:http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments)

If you are successful keeping her in a sling for a few hours of "rest" a day, I think that would be great. (Photos too[​IMG]) Hopefully this will start to help reduce the swelling.

8. mustangrooster

Thank you for all your given advice, and apologizes for not updating on her progress.

All i can say is that she has gotten much much worse. Her other leg is giving in and is more on a crooked angle under her body, she struggles to walk, and she is not far from the ground. Not only that, the roosters and hens have been attacking her. And her two siblings dont stay with her. She has been getting lots of attention from me lately, i think she looks like shes going to be a pet. She has a hard time finding food, but does manage. She is fighter.

Yesterday i found out the major problem. Her tendon is actually twisted, its got nothing to do with the leg or feet. Is this a genetic defect or what?

Since her siblings are leaving her because shes too slow, i've put her in with her duck and silkie friends/siblings that were raised with her. She is happy in there. But her condition is worrying. The fact that her other leg is getting on the bad side worry's me.

She is a bit slower but manages, She still walks but she counts on her wings alot more now. And loves her cuddles and big feed ups.

I hope she continues to manage.

Your thoughts?

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Twisted tendon could be from a nutritional deficiency or she could have a genetic defect like Valgus Varus.
    The other chickens most likely attacked her because she is weak and a "threat" to the well being of the flock.
    I'm glad that she is doing better with the duck and Silkies.

I'm so sorry that I don't have better answers. I wish this could be fixed. You are doing a great job taking care of her. The TLC will hopefully keep her going for a while. Make sure she is eating/drinking well and offer some extra poultry vitamins a couple of days a week.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/220/slipped-tendon-perosis/
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_intertarsal_joint_in_broiler_chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110263/roosters-leg-turning-out-help-pictures

10. mustangrooster

Quote:I appreciate your advice so much. With sadness and grief i say that little sprinkles has gone up to the rainbow bridge. I am horribly upset, she was like a pet to me, and always wanted to be by my side. She went missing, i looked all night for her, in the morning i found her dead in the ducks and silkies pen. I dont get it, i looked where she was found dead and she wasn't there the first time! At least she doesn't have to suffer any longer, and hopefully she is in a better place. I just feel horrible that she died all alone, when she deserved to be loved all the way through to her departure :( Im sad, but maybe it was for the best :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by