Young cockeral.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KarateHorse, Mar 12, 2017.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    We have some chicks that are a month old. I noticed that one of the chicks tries to breed the other chicks.... He will run over and grab them by the back of the head and if he can he will get on and do the movements of a full grown rooster. I have only noticed him doing it today. Has anyone else had this problem? Will he hurt the other chicks?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes mine did it often,no they usuallybdont hurt them.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Wow, that's young!

I haven't dealt with it yet, but that would be a problem for me and he would rapidly be separated. Even the girls that have reached POL don't really appreciate it, can't imagine young chicks would either. Does he seem to differentiate between the other boys verses girls?

Early maturing could be a benefit in breeding, but that might be a little too extreme for me. [​IMG]

4. AuntJamie

AuntJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Wow! Getting to it awful young. :/
    I have a two 1/2 wk old cockerel starting antics but as long as nobody's getting hurt I'll let them stay together. He's not near big enough for the frying pan, anyway. But if he were wounding any of the pullets he'd be gotten rid of tout suite.

5. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    We don't know which chicks are girls and which are boys but he does do it to a young tom turkey as well. He is still really small he is one of the smallest chicks in there. We know that chick is a definite rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by