Young cockerel limping/unable to bear weight on right leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimquat, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Kimquat

Kimquat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    My sweet showgirl, Eglantine, has begun limping and really favoring his right leg. When I pick him up, holding his back to my chest, he lifts his left leg, but wants to keep his right leg straight and rather stiff. I checked him out pretty thoroughly and could see no obvious signs of injury, he doesn't roost high, either. Has anyone ever had a chicken injured in a similar manner? What should I do to care for him? I was going to bring him inside to give him nutri-drench and keep him comfortable, but I don't want to unnecessarily stress him out. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    You could try making a crutch or a splint for it to help it while it heals...

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Sometimes, birds have things goin' on inside, that causes 'em to have difficulties w/ movement. The links below might be helpful, and there's also an excellent online presentation of the anatomy of the chicken -- visit http://www.gallusgallusdomesticus.com/anatomy/presentation/ for details.

In addition to this most likely being some form of injury, I'd consider the possibility of internal parasites, or of some form of bacterial infection ... hopefully? It'll turn out to be no big thing ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by