Young duck heart attack??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KittyKattens, Apr 25, 2019.

1. KittyKattens

KittyKattens In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2019
    We had a bad storm last night and even though my 2 ducks and 2 chicks were sheltered, we came out to one of our ducks dead. No problems with coop and all others were fine. She has no marks... Could she have had a heart attack due to storm being that she was almost 7 weeks old.

2. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss! :hugs
    No idea if ducks can have a heart attack due to a violent storm, my ducks are usually way more calm during thunderstorms, heavy rain or gusty winds than i am. But i wouldn't rule it out. Are the other's behaving normally?

quackiemama, FluffTheDuck and Texag87 like this.
  3. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    ide consider something more logical like botulism or an infection and make sure the rest are healthy

heart attacks are possible but everyones ducks have had big scares and most lived

4. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Agree! - I was about to have a heart attack during a violent thunderstorm, where my ducks were standing at their door, quacking to be let out and play in the rain…

5. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Mine are more likely to have a heart attack when I bring in the bag of death (pine shavings) during storms. I am :oops: and they are:wee

6. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Whats up with that? Mine completely come unglued when i bring the bag of shavings!

7. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I don't know. I call it the bag of death because I have had the goose brain herself when she saw it and the others throw themselves into the walls. I try hard to make sure they are outside before I bring in the bag of death. I don't know why this is so scary. They go crazy.

8. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    I shouldnt laugh but they are such goofs

My old appleyard used to run into the fence and get up to his shoulders in the hole of the netting and get stuck everytime

9. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Laughing is good. I feel much better that other s had th bag of death experience.

quackiemama and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  10. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Sorry OP

quackiemama and WannaBeHillBilly like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: