Young duck not stretching neck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mds210, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mds210

mds210 New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    Morning all,

Looking for advice. New to duck ownership. I have four ducks that are a couple weeks old. One of them doesn't stretch its neck like the others. Lays down a lot but when it's laying down she stretches her neck and lays it on the bedding. I put them in the bathtub everyday for at least an hour, and clean their home out daily due to them playing in their drinking water and soaking the bedding. Is there something wrong with this duck or is this just possible normal behavior.

Thanks

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not really sure what you mean?.....What breed is it?.....Is the water deep enough to dunk its head?...Do you give Niacin?.....

3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Whats the temperature in the brooder?
    They lay down and stretch out their heads when they are too hot.
    Do they ever pant? Open beak breathing?

4. mds210

mds210 New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    I'm not given niacin. I'll get some to give them. Their brooder is warm but not too warm, I have the light up high to alleviate the temp. I have a chicken waterer for them to drink out of, it may not be deep or wide enough for them to dunk their heads. They are not. It's just one particular that I'm having the problem with and I'm not even sure it's a problem. Yesterday when it was in the bathtub it was standing up in the tub and almost falling asleep, it would let its head drop but after it's nose holes were submerged it would wake back up. Do I just have an overly sleepy duck. They are about 2 weeks-3 weeks old. I believe the are pekin they are from tsc. [​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They defiantly need deep water to dunk their heads...:).........Pekins grow fast and many suffer from niacin issues..:(........Best wishes.....

6. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Definatley get the niacin started. The way the ones head is out in the photo doesnt look normal.
    I see ones legs outstreched which they also do when warm. Make sure part of the brooder is at least 10-15 degrees cooler.
    I cant tell alot from the photo but it appears the light is over the whole thing?
    They need only one warm area and the rest cooler.
    And yeah be sure the water is deep enough for their entire head to dunk
    How long do you keep them in the water?
    A duckling shouldnt get so tired that its head tips in the water. That does not sound normal.
    If its doing that i wouldnt leave it in the water .

7. mds210

mds210 New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    Added niacin to water. Moved to a bowl that is deep enough to dunk heads in. Cooled down brooder. How old until they don't need the heat lamp anymore?? [​IMG]

8. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Good job!! [​IMG][​IMG]
    Depends on where they are... and the surrounding temps. If in the house and your temps indoors are over 70 they would prob be happy.
    If outside mine were able to go without heat at 4 weeks old. And it was in the low 30s at night and 40-50 daytime
    But i had 13 ducklings together.
    Pekins are a heavy breed and in my experience were much warmer then the other breeds and did better with far leas heat.

9. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Keep us updated with your duckling with the streched out neck...
    does it hold its head up to eat and drink normally?

10. mds210

mds210 New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    It will stretch its neck to eat and drink and to look over the tub but for the most part it keeps it low to its body unless it's sleeping then it stretches out to sleep. They are inside and the temp is around 70+

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by