Young ducks laid small eggs and now stopped

tabby15

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Hampshire
I got three runner ducklings and a drake in May. For three weeks now I have been getting a large greenish shelled egg nearly every day which I think is my black runner Marmite. The other two (caramel and apricot) are a bit younger (judging by when they started quacking) and I have had four or five variously sized white shelled eggs, some without a yolk. However for the past week no white shelled eggs at all. I have checked their pen and water thoroughly and raked through their bedding.
They seem happy. I have picked them up and checked that they are ok. It has got colder and days shorter here but marmite is still laying. Any ideas? Do I just need to wait til the warmer months again?

Hi tabby15! Well I think that young ducks certainly can lay small eggs or eggs that are otherwise peculiar in another way simply just because they are young. So that could be. And I def see a change in egg production here as it starts getting dark earlier and the weather gets cooler. So that could be a factor too. Or one of your ducks might have a need for some more calcium. I think I might supplement with oyster shell (offered free choice) and perhaps even some Calcium Gluc. Liquid added to the drinking water for your ducks.

Thank you. They have oyster shell and grit freely available but I may top up with shell to make sure. Not heard of the calcium supplement before. Their drinking water tub is quite big so may need to consider something smaller whilst I supplement it

Well clearly something worked, whether more oyster shell, deeper bedding or perhaps they just got better at it! Two huge eggs both double yoked.

Back
Top Bottom