young ducks with older ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oddyse, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Hey guys, I was just wondering how the older ducks will treat my ducklings if I put them together. I have 2 12 week old ducks and 2 4 week old ducks that will have to live together. I have my older ducks in a run and this morning I put my little ducks in a small run next to them, so they could see each other, but not harm each other. How long will I have to do this before I can "lift the divide?" [​IMG]

2. Oddyse

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Just tried putting one of the little ones in and one of the older ones started shaking and hissing and then tried to peck her, I was holding the little one so she couldnt get hurt. I hope someone comes along soon to shed some light on this! Many thanks guys

3. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    How big are the younger ones compared to the older ones?
    There will be some scuffles, and such, but they work it out, Its their pecking order.

4. Oddyse

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    the older ones are 14 weeks and the younger ones are are 4 weeks, I understand about the pecking order but I dont want the little ones hurt! Should I just put them all together and hope that nothing bad happens? Because the big ones are sure not happy! I dont want anything happenening to the little ones because one has bad legs and cant run away!!!! Hope someone can help

5. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Whats the size difference in them though? You should probably wait until they are 7 or 8 weeks.

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Put a divider in the pen/brooder,whatever they're in. Make sure they can see each other though. They will accept each other sooner or later.

7. Oddyse

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    I dont really have the space to wait until they are 7 or 8 weeks! I have them together but a divide in place at the moment. What will happen if I just put them together a hope for the best? Are the big ones likely to kill the little ones? The size difference is pretty big, but the ducklings are not bothered at all, its just one of the older ducks who is really not happy! And I mean really not happy!

8. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    My Mallards were all bullies to my Pekings and Chickens. The chickens were the same age as the mallards and i would let them free range together that way they had plenty of space to get away from each other. The Pekings were a couple weeks younger and they were terrified of the mallards they would run in circles around the garage trying to get away from the mallards. When we put them in the coop together they didn't like each other but they could tolerate each other. Now all the Ducks hang together and the Pekings get ticked off when the mallards decide to fly around because they cant.

Good luck... I guess i would put all the little ones in with the big ones while you supervise for a bit and see how it goes and then put them back on there own side but think you will have better luck at 7 or 8 weeks.

9. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I'm going through this now too with my baby call ducklings and their chicken. Long story on how the chicken got involved with the ducks. I have them in a rabbit hutch in the duck house, and when the ducks go out into the run, the babies get to play in the coop. When I'm out there, I set in the run and let the babies out, so I can monitor. Or I kick everyone out into the yard. It's progressing well so far, the older ducks (they must be 10 weeks by now), of the 3, 2 are mean. The Saxony is the worse, she seeks out the babies, while the Mallard/Pekin cross girls only go after them if they get close. Doesn't stop the babies from trying though, they know they're ducks and they should be allowed in the group.

I figure, limited and controlled exposure and constant viewing of each other, so that when the babies are fully feathered, it won't be too bad on the sink or swim day of shared living quarters.

10. Oddyse

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    the main problem I have is one of the babies cant really walk, so she is just a sitting target for the big ducks! Not nice to see when they attack her and she falls over "crying". The other little one would be ok I think, the big ones try and peck her, but as her name says "rocket" she just blasts round and round and the big ones give up! Im think I should just put them together and see what happens, is this likely for disaster? I dont want them killing the one that cant walk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by