Young easter egger sluggish with strange poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rainbow Chicken, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Rainbow Chicken

Rainbow Chicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    I've checked the poo chart and didn't see a match, but I'm far from an expert. We have an 8 month year old easter egger that has been laying beautiful green eggs daily for about a month. She was sluggish yesterday, sitting in a bush with tail feathers down eyes closed and then retired to the coop earlier than normal (an hour too early) to sit in her laying box and then perch for the night. I tried to feel for a beer belly and a hard spot that would indicate egg binding, but didn't feel anything. She hasn't laid in two days. This a.m. we have given her a warm tub soak, lubed her vent with olive oil, she ate a little feed with plain yogurt and she is now moving a bit more. But this is her poop (greenish with a clear to yellowish gel), which I haven't seen in my flock to date. Any ideas? Hoping she perks back up and gets through this, but appreciate any response if you've experienced something similar with your flock and suggest doing more.

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

If she continues to stay sluggish and her urates get any more yellow, I would start her on antibiotics. She could have an infection of some sort, either related to laying or some sort of intestinal infection. It looks like there could be mucus in her poop as well which may indicate Coccidiosis.

"Corid" will take care of the coccidiosis and maybe some Amoxicillin or one of the Tetracyclines like Doxycycline or even Duramycin would take care of oviduct infections or internal laying along with E.coli or Enteritis's of the intestinal tract. When ever my birds turn up with yellow urates, I always start the antibiotics.

You can offer up Corid in the water while giving oral antibiotics or injections.

3. Rainbow Chicken

Rainbow Chicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Thank you, I'll look into finding the corid and antibiotics today. I didn't realize either would stop the laying. Good to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by