Young EE's were laying, now nothing for 3 days-should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by franklinchickens, Sep 16, 2010.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Our two EE hens started laying about 2 weeks ago and have been fairly consistent, either every day or every other day. But now nothing for 3 days. Is this normal? All of the eggs they've laid so far have been normal except for one with broken shell (someone maybe stepped on it). Both seem quite healthy otherwise.
    These are my first chickens so pardon the newbie question.

2. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'd watch them, but my pullets always do that when they first start laying. They also can't seem to decide where to lay. We have found eggs in the oddest places, so also make sure you make a good search of their hen house. We thought ours had stopped laying and then found ten eggs behind a small board above the door. Never even would have noticed if a pullet hadn't clucked at me from above my head when I walked in!

3. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Dana - thank you - I will do a search but they free range in the back yard all day so I'm going to have to start digging in the shrubbery! What's weird is that they layed in the box each time, then all of a sudden nothing. I'll keep an eye out - just a worried mama I guess!

4. chickenracer

chickenracer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I've had the same problem I did not have a egg in two weeks then I got an idea simce it was goin to rain all day I left them in there pin and let them go after about three and followed them and found 31 eggs!

5. chickenracer

chickenracer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Now it has happened again but I did find a hen that was eating eggs I might have to seprate her for a little bit

6. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    So now all of mine are laying in the boxes so I don't think I need to go search. Our last one that I thought would never lay, just laid one today - spent about 2 hours in the box. The EE's are both laying though one not as consistently as the other. Think it might just be them getting started.
    Who can tell with chickens what they will do?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by