YOUNG FRIZZLE'S LEGS HAVE GONE STIFF :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by florette4, Dec 22, 2013.

1. florette4

florette4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Hi all BYC members. I am new to this forum and new to chook ownership. I have 9 chickens, 3 very young poulets.. I would say 3-4 months old. Yesterday when I down to the garden, I was watching one attempting to eat an insect, just looked like an ant. I don't know if it was related but in the next instance, she went wobbly in the legs and then started to strutt with her legs out quite high in front of her. She has trouble balancing and then just sat down. I tried to find info on the net but am still left completely baffled. There is nothing in her run to catch her leg on, surely if she were poisoned she would appear sick( she is still eating). She just can't stand or walk properly. It has been really hot here in Sydney and I thought she may have a bit of sun stroke, so I put her in the laundry where it is much cooler. This morning she appears fine, except she still cannot stand properly. I am really concerned... she is so sweet. Just have no idea what the problem could be, someone suggested a tick? Have checked but she doesn't appear to have one. She tries to stand up to scratch but over balances. Any suggestions??? Its very distressing.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds a bit like Mareks disease. I can't post links now, but if you Google Mareks disease you will see some good info--I like the Cornell University site as well as the UNH site. Vitamins can be helpful now, on the chance that it could be a vitamin deficiency.

3. florette4

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks for your help. I looked up Mareks but it doesnt look quite like that. She isn't gripping with her feet. Everything else is fine. Bad time of year to get any furhter diagnosis. The vet thought it could be heat related but today its much cooler and she is still in the same condition. However, she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort or pain. I have her in the cat carrier on some hay and she seems quite content. Will just keep an eye on her and see if there is any improvement. Then to the vet I guess, though what they can do?????

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try giving her some vitamins and electrolytes in her water. Some vitamin deficiencies can cause leg and foot problems. Watch for other symptoms.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could be Mareks, which is common in young birds, and comes in many different forms. Even though her symptoms don't fit exactly, that doesn't mean it isn't Marek's. Or it could be a vitamin deficiency. I'd get some poultry vitamins to put in her water, and massage/exercise her legs daily. Heat stroke can cause brain damage and neurological symptoms, so it could be that, too.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    It does sound like Mareks sadly. You can try poultry vitamins but if their is not improvement I would think it IS Mareks. What's not mentioned about Mareks is that it can be as subtle as a droopy wing or limp or even a dilated pupil.or it can be as avasive as full blown paralysis. Mareks is virtually everywhere and can travel miles in the wind and live on the land for years. Was She vaccinated for Mareks? If it does turn out to be Mareks it does NOT mean your other birds will be symptomatic however it DOES mean they have been exposed and although not symptomatic themselves they CAN and will infect other birds with the virus that you bring on your property. Birds brought in should be vaccinated and given ample time for antibodies to develop in their body BEFORE exposure. Exposure would mean the outside or a adult bird. Mareks sadly is not a simple disease and can manifest itself in MANY different ways. Some think if the bird does not have paralysis in the classic Mareks pose with the out stretched legs then they think their bird does not have the disease.this is just not true because Mareks manafiests itself in MANY different ways. Some that I mentioned earlier. So please don't discount Mareks. You Might consider having her tested so you can know for certain and move forward from their. It might be beneficial for you to do some extensive research on this disease. They do have some intensive articles online that might help explain this disease better.i do hope I'm wrong but it does sound as if she might have the Mareks virus. Sadly.Do try the vitamins as a defiance can bring on those types of symptoms as well but if she does not respond I would seriously consider that she might have Mareks. I do hope this information helps and I wish you the very best. Do some research on Mareks and see what you think. Best wishes.

8. florette4

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks everyone for your help. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas! I am going to the vet this afternoon to see what he says. Spoke with him this morning and he doesn't believe its Mareks. If it is, I believe I am in trouble as my entire flock will most likely contract it, as well as the neighbours chickens. It is just one leg that she doesn't seem to be able to put weight on and it juts out in front of her when she is standing.
    Fingers crossed ........ thx Jennie

9. florette4

Dec 21, 2013
    Just an update on my chicken. The x-ray revealed a calcium deficiency in the leg.. a form of porosis, much like osteoporosis in humans. I kept her in a small cage and let her out to fossick a few times a day, but getting around was hard for her. I gave her concentrated vitamin and mineral supplements in her water and googled all the effective ways of getting calcium to her. After three days there was not much improvement. The vet had "hobbled" her with gauze and tape to restrict her movement. I spoke to another vet and she recommended calcium syrup, given directly twice a day. I did this for about 3 days. Any way, the upshot is... her leg has improved 100%! I can't believe the recovery. The vet had said that she may always have a funny walk but she is just fine. I also gave her bocconcini to up the calcium intake. She just loved it!!! I give it to the rest of my flock now as a treat and they all go crazy for it. So a happy ending to the story :) Thanks again for everyone's advise. Jennie

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Thank you for the update,this is very interesting as i would not have guessed calcium deficiency would have caused this leg issue. This little tidbit of information carries huge possibilities for other birds,i am going to say this is probably one of the most useful pieces of info i have read in awhile. Great info for others who may experience this issue in the future. Just goes to show that not all leg issues are Marek's related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by