Young Frizzles.. pullets or cockerals?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tmasker, Jul 31, 2011.

1. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    Any ideas? I was told a pair .. one of each.... 3-4 months old. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Snowflake and Marshmellow

2. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    I have a white frizzle cochin hen and had a frizzle cochin roo the year before(we got rid of him). The front one is a pullet, the back one may be a roo, but I'd lean more toward pullet. The Roos have more gray and browns in the coat and should have bigger combs and more pronounced wattles by 4 months. The only other thing on the one in the back is the larger tail feathers.... pullets.[​IMG]

3. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the input. I was afraid the back frizzle is a roo, but I must also add he/she has feathered feet so it may be a cochin mix? Here is a better picture. [​IMG] They are from the same clutch so I am very confused! I am concerned about the redder comb. Hoping both are pullets! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

I do think you've got a hen and a roo. They are so cute! I just picked up two little bantam cochin frizzles and they are darling! I will have to post a pic of them........I'll try when I get home from work, this evening.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    If they are closer to 3 months I say a hen and roo is likely. However, if they are 4 months, there is a chance the roo may actually be a slightly more developed pullet. My cochin roo is WAY more developed at 4 months old, and he just started crowing. But definitely a chance you got 1 of each! Better then 2 roos! [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Wow, what beautiful frizzles! I believe you got your pair.[​IMG]

7. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Both pullets! [​IMG]

8. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    both pullets......by now you would know if he was a roo..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I agree pullets, my frizzles you could tell the males very early on like in a few weeks.

10. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Those are both definite pullets, and it's a good thing too, because you can't mate a frizzle to a frizzle or you'll get some frazzles. Frazzles end up losing their feathers, having red irritated skin, and lead miserable lives. So don't get a frizzle roo if you plan on mating them, or you'll end up with frazzles. Congrats on both being pullets! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by