Young Goat ???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by josh, Apr 11, 2009.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    My son brought home a pygmy goat. It doesn't have any top teeth in the front. Do you think it needs a bottle? I know nothing about it. It is a boy and I don't see any testicles or a sack. So does this mean it was cut?

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    All goats don't have top teeth in the front [​IMG] Maybe you could post a picture and that could help us with how old it is. Does it eat hay when you offer it some?

3. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I tried to get it to eat a handful of hay and it didn't want it. It will suck your finger if you put it down there. I will have to go get a picture in a little while.
    It has horns about 1" to 1 1/2 " long/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    With horns that long I bet its weaned and they will still try to suck on your fingers even when they are a few years old...nope goats dont have top teeth, they do have bottowm...they are cud chewers.

5. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I looked at it really good it isn't a pygmy. So would it still be weaned with horns that size?

6. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    I have a bottle baby that is weaned and she still will try to suck on my fingers. Maybe if you are able to get a pic tomorrow someone will be able to tell how old he is and maybe what breed.

7. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I would say yes but a picture would help with what ever type it is. If you don't find any sack and you are sure it is a male, then he was band as a baby probably around 2 weeks and is old enough to have healed- probably at least 2 months if the hornes are that long, no bottle needed. You can offer him warm water if it is cold. alfalfa, hay and a starter pellet, he should eat after settling in. Goats are a herd animal you should have 2 he needs a buddy.
    Hope this helps. Susan

8. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    I dont mean to offend here but I cant imagine anyone getting an animal without knowing at the very least if it is still on a bottle or not. Unless it was a stray or rescue.

If you post a pic and also give his weight, I can have a guess at how old he is and whether he will need a bottle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by