1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young hen acting strange?! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 77horses, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    One of our red star pullets, Cinnamon, acted really strange last night. It was around supper time and the pullets were running around, eating bugs, in the chicken kennel. The i heard a hen making weird noises, and i thought it must of been the rooster messing with the adult hens, who are in a separate coop. So i went to see what was wrong, and i checked on the adult hens first. They weren't making the noises, so i checked the pullets. there are 4 of them all together, but one was acting strange. she was making the noises! At first when i looked at her, she was trotting around and acting scared, so i looked around to see if maybe she could see a hawk or something(the chickens usually freak out when they see even a little blue jay, because they think it's dangerous!) But i couldn't see any hawk or anything. But then i noticed that Cinnamon was walking strange. She was holding her butt to the ground, as if getting ready to lay an egg! I was all excited because i thought it would be her first egg! [​IMG] But then she stopped and started cleaning her tail. I waited, but nothing happened. then she walked away normally and acted like nothing happened. [​IMG]
    why was she acting like this? was she gonna lay an egg? [​IMG] is this something i should be worried about?
    None of the other pullets have acted this way yet, and Cinnamon is the largest one out of them all.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* My DH said to tell you she was staging a dress reherssal(sp) for the real thing.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* My DH said to tell you she was staging a dress reherssal(sp) for the real thing---- AND that as she had you convinced that something was going on, she gets the Best Actress Award. [​IMG]:clap:clap:clap:woot:thumbsup:thumbsup

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by