Young hen appears to have gone broody first time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeakSanctuary, Nov 28, 2008.

1. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    I've been seeing my turken hen on the same nest for the last couple days and I kind of thought, until today, it was coincidence but now I'm thinking she's setting. Kind of pointless in VA this time of year, no? Seems the eggs have probably gotten cold to the point of being unable to hatch no matter what, but maybe I'm not informed? Are there other hens out there in near freezing weather in BYC-land setting?

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    She can do it but it may take an extra day or so to hatch.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have a hen that is setting, due December 4th. So yes, there are crazy hens everywhere!

4. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    Wow! Now that, to me, would be a miracle. I feel sorry for her for trying, but I guess I shouldn't as it's only a natural instinct. Thanks for the input, scgamecock. This is my first possibly broody hen and it's exciting and rather difficult to imagine.

5. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    OK, shelleyd2008. That gives me an idea - at some point, if she doesn't stop, I'd better be able to guess when the eggs could hatch.

6. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Does she have eggs under her now?

7. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    Yes, she sure does.

8. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I would mark them with a permanent marker so you can tell if any fresh one's are laid.Also try to remember when she started setting and mark it on the calendar.

9. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Our broody hen is sitting on unfertilized eggs, and will peck you mercilessly if you try to get them. Whenever a chicken lays an egg, she pushes it under her with her beak. We have seen her at it, and it is SO cute!!!

10. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    I guess if you're recommending that I mark the eggs, that alone wouldn't usually be a significant enough intrusion to cause her to give up? I was afraid to check even what she's sitting on, though I do know there are eggs in there, just don't know how many.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by