Young hen attacked and has scars on head

El Paso Linda

Songster
Jun 21, 2019
El Paso, TX
My young Old English Game bird hen was attacked when she was placed with a new flock. The top of her head was injured down to the scalp and now is healed but there is no skin on the top of her head so she won't grow feathers there again. I tried to return her to the flock with her parents and siblings but they attack her to. She wants to be back with her parents but it isn't safe. I keep her in a pen by herself and handle her every day so she won't be lonely. Do you have any suggestions on what else can I do?

Shezadandy

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
My young Old English Game bird hen was attacked when she was placed with a new flock. The top of her head was injured down to the scalp and now is healed but there is no skin on the top of her head so she won't grow feathers there again. I tried to return her to the flock with her parents and siblings but they attack her to. She wants to be back with her parents but it isn't safe. I keep her in a pen by herself and handle her every day so she won't be lonely. Do you have any suggestions on what else can I do?

Definitely keep her separate and make sure she can't stick her head through the fence in her isolated space. If she can stay in visual contact with the others, once she's healed over re-introducing her will be easier.

Chickens LOVE blood and LOVE scabs (blood cookies!!) so once there's an injury they will continue to pick it.

This poor little guy got into it with his brother. Once there was blood, everyone joined in on the attack. I came home to find this only bloodier, his brother not nearly as bad off and the entire group had blood on their beaks. If we'd gotten home any later I'm not sure how long he would have made it. The hole in the middle went all the way down. When I flushed it with Vetricyn using a small syringe, it literally made a spout and came back up. After cleaning with Vetricyn I used triple antibiotic ointment.

Yellow heads attack 011.JPG

3 days later.
Chick injuries and flock shots 11-2-16 007.jpg

7 days later.
Eggs and Yellow head progress 012.jpg

I kept the two injured brothers (only the worst one is pictured here) in adjacent areas and reintroduced them once the scabs were all gone - they kept each other company and never had a problem again. The injured one grew up to be my flock rooster.

Top Bottom