1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Hen gash in Leg what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by savilcr, Apr 5, 2012.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    well after a month of letting our 4 older hens (2 years old) see our 13 younger chicks everyday in the coop next to them we decided to combine them. For the first 2 weeks there was some slight pecking but nothing serious, (typical pecking order stuff) this morning I come out to the coop and a young hen and rooster have gashes in their legs, the rooster is toast but the hen I might be able to save, what can I do to treat this? I took her away from the group. the young hens are about 3 months old

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sorry to hear that. Where is the gash on the leg, is it on the scaly part? If it is, I would clean it up, put some Blue Cote on it, and then wrap it with some vet wrap.

3. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    I cleaned it with saline, added a ton of neosporin, im gunna try to save the rooster but we'll see

4. Birdo

Birdo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    New-skin! Works great and safe for birds.

5. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    Anyone else? The rooster has a broken foot I think, is he toast?

6. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    Not having seen the extent of the break, I'm guessing here. But, that said, usually a leg or foot break will not end well, especially with a roo. He would have serious quality-of-life issues, and likely not be able to do his "roosterly" duties, nor protect himself from other roos. Maybe someone else on here would have a more positive view on it?

7. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    Had to put the rooster down, the hen won't even put her foot on the ground, looks kinda swollen, I'll post a pic tomorrow

8. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here are some pictures, you can see her foot is swollen, she still can't walk on it and hasn't drank any water in 2days, what should i do?

9. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

10. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    can someone please help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by