Young hen has diarrhea and won't move

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggywegs4, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Eggywegs4

Eggywegs4 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Washington State
    One of my 12 week old rirs has had diarrhea for a few days now. About a week and a half ago she was walking funny on her left side, I checked for bumblefoot and found no signs of it. Once I noticed she had diarrhea I used save a chick to try and build back her electrolytes. I checked on her a few hours ago and she was walking around with the rest of them, now she won't get up. She tried spreading her wings and lifting herself but she couldn't stay up for more than a second. The only movements she'll make is flopping onto her right side and spreading her left wing a little. It's really cold here and I'm concerned that's a factor as my runt rir was acting odd also. She didn't fuss when I held her, so I'm having trouble locating a possible injury. As far as I've seen before this point she has been eating and drinking normally.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Are her legs streatched out in a awakward position? What are her legs doing? Are her toes curled up? Does she seem paralyzed? Please answer ..exactly what do her legs look like ? If you can give a few more clues I might have a idea on what's happening with her. Was she ever vaccinated for Mareks disease?

3. Eggywegs4

Eggywegs4 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Washington State
    There is no deformity of the foot and when she does manage to stand her toes spread out normally. The legs aren't stretched awkwardly at all, she just tucks them under her body. When she sits though the toes aren't spaced as far apart like the other foot. She's using her wings a lot for balance. Since i last checked her she's trying to move more. She can curl her toes around my finger, so its not total paralysis. I personally didn't have her vaccinated and i doubt where i bought her did either. This was the best picture i could get of her standing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by