Young hen hasn't laid since Sunday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Curlyginger, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    My young EE hen, Feather, started laying about 6 weeks ago and is now about 25 weeks. She has pretty consistently laid about 5 eggs a week since she started. She seems healthy - she is perky and eating and drinking. BUT - she has not laid an egg since Sunday morning. It is now Wednesday night. My other two laying hens have continued to lay regularly.

I checked her for egg binding, and while she didn't seem egg bound, I gave her a warm bath, greased up her vent, and kept her inside for a few hours. She is fed a high quality, organic layer feed. I use DE in the run and coop to prevent mites and lice. They only have supervised free ranging once in awhile, so she isn't hiding her eggs. I don't think anyone (or thing) is eating the eggs as there is no evidence of it and the other girls eggs are not disappearing.

I am a total newbie. this is my first year with chickens. Should I be concerned, or is she just taking a vacation?

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Probably just a break thanks to the shorter days. Just keep an eye in her. Have you had any changes to the flock or living situation or a recent predator scare? All can cause stress. I winterized my run with plastic tarps last weekend. Suddenly my leghorns you could set a clock to stopped laying as frequently or started laying soft shell eggs. I took down the tarp obstructing their south view of the house and yard (and direct sun) and all is back to normal.

3. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Nothing too recent. We added 2 chickens to the flock 5 weeks ago and winterized the run about 3 weeks ago, but she laid like clockwork through those. She is eating, drinking and pooping. I checked her vent for mites and lice this morning and she seems clean. I will follow your advice and keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by