Young hen laying soft egg shells

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaiSmith, Jan 20, 2017.

1. MaiSmith

MaiSmith Just Hatched

Jan 9, 2017
    My young hen who has just started laying in the middle of a very cold winter keeps laying weird eggs where it just falls apart when she lays and the shell is paper like. She is acting / eating / drinking normally and doesn't seem to be in pain though she has been very noisy recently. Every time she lays an 'egg' , though, she becomes very quiet and sits very still and closes her eyes. Our hens live a very peaceful life in our garden and we don't have any predators to stress them out. They eat layers pellets and odd bits and bobs from the kitchen. I have looked it up but can't find a solution. Any advice? Thank you xx

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Do you provide oyster shells?Oyster shells are needed to strengthen the eggs.There is a risk that the eggs could break inside her.

Some pullets that just start laying will lay soft shelled eggs.It may take her a while for her eggs to start getting stronger.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. MaiSmith

MaiSmith Just Hatched

Jan 9, 2017
    We have scattered them on the grass before but they don't seem to be interested. Her first four eggs were normal, blue and delicious! Thanks for the quick response. xx

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Put the oyster shells in a small container.They should have access to them 24/7.No problem[​IMG]

5. MaiSmith

MaiSmith Just Hatched

Jan 9, 2017
    I will do that first thing tomorrow. Thanks ever so much! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by