Young Hen not moving and brown liquid dripping from mouth.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckNPluckFarm, Aug 29, 2014.

1. CluckNPluckFarm

CluckNPluckFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    PA
    Something is wrong with my sweet Wyandotte and I'm worried. She's about 20weeks or so old. I got home and she's just standing in the run, not moving, which is not like her. I walked up and she didn't even budge. When I picked her up to ...check if she's egg bound or something a brown liquid ran out of her mouth. She's been standing in the same place I set her down for the last 10min. She has her wings and tail down too. Help!!

[​IMG]

2. CluckNPluckFarm

CluckNPluckFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    PA
    Update:

I went out about 15min after posting this and witnessed her flop and few times and pass away. I'm thinking she died of sour/impacted crop. I witnessed her eating straw a few days ago and think that may be the cause of the issue. I'm not 100% sure though. It's so hard to watch one of your animals pass away...

3. HanwellChickens

HanwellChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    So sorry to hear of her passing.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I think your guess is pretty good. When it gets impacted you can sometimes massage it and get the blockage out of the way but it has to be caught fairly early. I try to watch as they come out of the pen in the mornings to see if anyone looks a bit large for early morning. I'm sorry.

5. MOZFarm

MOZFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    NW Florida
    I'm so sorry you lost her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by