Young Hen Opening and Closing Mouth Burping?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BoomChickaPop, Nov 16, 2016.

1. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    I have a 6-7 month old barnevelder hen, today she was sitting on the ground opening and closing her mouth very wide.
    She can walk and move around without a problem. She just won't stop opening her mouth! I can hear gurgling in her stomach like she has a stomachache. She sounds like she is burping! And there is a odd smell coming from her mouth when she opens it.
    I'll post a pic soon

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How does her crop feel? Sour crop or impacted crop may be a possible problem. One may lead to the other with rotting food or grass stuck in the crop, and can lead to a bad odor, a puffy balloon-like or hard and full crop. They may open the beak and yawn or gape with a crop problem. Most treatment involves giving lots of water, feeding a bit of plain yogurt, massaging the crop several time daily, and no solid food when an impacted crop is suspected. Here is some reading about crops:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/digestive-problems/index.aspx

3. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Actually I was surprised to find that her crop is completely empty

4. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    She is also gurgling and spitting
    Her mouth stinks terribly but not sour crop as her crop is empty
    She runs when I go to grab her and she talks and screams when I hold her like usual

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look inside her mouth for anything unusual. Look for nasal drainage which could be a respiratory disease symptom. Is she eating or drinking? What is the current climate where you live? Is it hot or tropical? Is she pooping, and what does it look like? If she seems pretty ill, take her to a vet if possible. Adding some poutry vitamins with electrolytes to her water, or give some poultry NutiDrench 2-3 drops daily.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    She does not have any drainage from her nose just saliva from her mouth
    We live near FL and it is about 70-80 degrees
    I also noticed that the bottom of her beak is peeling I keep picking off prices of her beak like the parts closest to here mouth
    I can see a beautiful beak underneath like she's shedding or something
    I have about 70 chickens and I know when one isn't acting right
    They are all my babies!
    She lives on grass in an electric netting protected by 2 LGD dogs
    None of the other chickens are acting strange
    It's like ages trying to get something up
    Should I put her upside down?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Double check how her crop feels. It might be good practice to feel others' crops to see that they can be tricky to feel. It really sounds like something in her crop, but canker can cause yellow patches inside the mouth and throat, and also cause a bad odor. Be very cautious to try and empty her crop by leaning her forward and down-- it can cause choking to death. Also if the crop is empty, there should not be any reason to try emptying it. I am not sure if a gizzard blockage farther down might cause a bad odor. Do you have a farm vet or other vet who might see her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by