Young hen, possibly egg bound???

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
Hello fellow chicken lovers!
i've got a hen who is 4 1/2 months old and she has been acting really odd. last night i went to lock up the girls and collect eggs and i saw her with her 2 siblings and mom in one of the nesting boxes but she was on her side. she scared me really badly as i thought she had just died but i picked her up and she was alert. i set her on the ground for a moment and she was pumping her tail and flinched when i touched her, not sure why. i did see her eating though. she has been in the nesting boxes all day and just kinda stands there if i take her out. i felt around and didn't feel anything that would be like an egg so i'm very confused as to what is happening with her. They are all free rangers during the day and go up an night, they get fed a mix between Dumor layer feed and Naturewise layer feed. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I would remove her from the nest box and put her outside to make sure that she is eating and drinking. She might be getting ready to lay if her comb and wattles are getting red, but she still is young.,

I would remove her from the nest box and put her outside to make sure that she is eating and drinking. She might be getting ready to lay if her comb and wattles are getting red, but she still is young.,
Thanks for your help! She hung out with her siblings for a few hours i think but she did go back to her nesting box. She seems normal now(i guess i might of been a little to concerned) and i saw her eating again so im wondering if she could be going brody? Her momma is a silkie (not biological momma lol) and she is broody so im wondering if the young hen could be following her moms footsteps as they always seem to be in the same nesting box.

Thanks for your help! She hung out with her siblings for a few hours i think but she did go back to her nesting box. She seems normal now(i guess i might of been a little to concerned) and i saw her eating again so im wondering if she could be going brody? Her momma is a silkie (not biological momma lol) and she is broody so im wondering if the young hen could be following her moms footsteps as they always seem to be in the same nesting box.
Did she lay?

Back
Top Bottom