Young hen/ pullet was hen pecked Help! W/ Pictures *Graphic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by YotaGirl, Jul 28, 2011.

1. YotaGirl

YotaGirl New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    I went out this afternoon to check on the birds and my older hens (2 years old) had hen pecked my smallest bird (about 6 mos???). She has about a 1" diameter hole in the skin on her neck. There doesn't seem to be a puncture to the muscle. After searching through other threads on here, I put neosporin WITHOUT pain med on. I was able to get her to drink some water, but she doesn't want to open her eyes and she keeps wanting to lay down. It almost looks like her eyes are swollen shut. They didn't peck out her eyes. I opened her eyelids and it looks like both eyes are still there. There is definitely trauma to the area around her eyes but no gaping holes like the one on her neck. She will stand for a few seconds if I pick her up and set her down. Her breathing seems regular. I have her in a clean crate in the bathroom. Is there anything else I should be doing? Do you think she will pull through? I am brand new to chickens. I got them a week ago.

What a way to make an introduction to BYC. [​IMG]

Some pictures for reference:

The hole on her neck after neosporin
    [​IMG]

Close up of wound
    [​IMG]

This is what she is doing... just laying there [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Bump. [​IMG]

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks pretty bad, but it should heal (I would think).

I had one of mine attacked, not as bad as yours, but she healed up fine and is doing great. I did the neosporin thing and gave her some "Sav-a-chic" and just isolated her.

[​IMG]

4. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I had a silkie that had gotten picked on really bad like that, but it was toward her tail, I used Vetericyn and it cleared it up so fast it was unbelievable. Good Luck and hope she gets better [​IMG]

5. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I would use neosporin and pull th wound together as best as possible either with stiches or tape and as it heals it will fall off... keep her alone ...[​IMG]

6. YotaGirl

YotaGirl New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you for the encouraging words.

I just checked on her and she stood up for me again, this time longer, to drink water. She also tried to open her left eye. I gave a little food, but she is not interested in it. I will keep a close watch on her. If anyone has any tips or advice on how to better care for her, I would greatly appreciate it.

7. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Welcome to BYC...and sorry under such circumstances.... I am no expert (and don't even play one on TV:), be I wouldn't be surprised if she just needs to peace and quiet right now. Having isolated her and cleaned her up, fresh food and water, plus any supplements you see recommended will go a long ways towards her improving. She might be in sort of 'chicken shock,' shutting down when she was attacked and had no escape--once she's left alone I think (and hope) she will respond and improve. I hope she'll pull through--you are on the right track. Best of luck and please update, for better or for worse. [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    For healing I'd give her some good protein treats--yogurt, scrambled egg, meats. Maybe add some electrolytes to her water for a day or so. You'll need to keep her isolated from the other birds until that is TOTALLY healed, or the other girls will re-open the same area. Was this bird new to the others? Or is the coop small? I'm wondering why they beat her up so much.

9. YotaGirl

YotaGirl New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    This was a flock merge of sorts. I got six 2 year old birds from one family and three 6 month olds from another family; all hens. I had the two flocks in separate enclosures but next to each other for a few days while I was finishing up my coop and run. They all went into the new coop at the same time. The merge happened early Monday morning and I hadn't had any problems other than normal squabbling and mild chasing until today. Do you think I should pull the other 2 younger ones out?

Edit: I will try the protein treats, too. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by