Young hen starting to lay but not in the nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Jun 29, 2008.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Hi everyone, I need some advice. I have 8 girls and I'm starting to get eggs...FINALLY! My black Australorp "Molly", turned 5 months old on June 25th and laid an egg day before yesterday on the ground of the coop. Now today, she decides to lay in one of my potted plants. She didn't think about use the nest boxes in the coop at all. I hope she will start soon. I even have white ceramic eggs in each nest for inspiration. Has anyone out there had that same trouble with your young hens not using the boxes at first? I hope my other 7 don't do this too. Here she is laying today....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Well, you already have fake eggs in a nest box. Is it easily accessible for her? What time of day is she laying at? If near the same time every day, try not letting her out until after that time. That's about all I can offer at this time. Good luck!

3. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Today she laid at 12:30pm or so. She usually lays in the afternoon not the morning. I only let them out of the coop in the evening during the week and then morning & evening on the weekends. She was pacing back and forth in the coop today and when I open the door, she darted out and looked for a place to lay her egg....the potted plant! She totally ignored the nest boxes or she doesn't like them for some reason. I have 3 boxes about 1 ft and a half off the ground and I had my husband build an extra box that sits on the ground. It can't get more accessible than that. Do you think she will learn to use the box?

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    What are the nest boxes lined with for nesting? Sometimes that will make a difference for hens. The fake egg is a good idea. Keeping them cooped until they learn to use the house (even the floor) is necessary. You have to discourage the outside laying before you can fix the inside laying. lol Pacing is a sure sign they're holding an egg back. I wouldn't let her out until she does what she's supposed to do. Good luck. It's is not always this bad and typically once they get the idea, you're set.

Jody

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I can see why she likes the planter. it's elevated and she can see if she's safe. In our climate that would be a huge problem, but in yours it's um, rather endearing...[​IMG]

6. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I think she looks so cute laying in the planter. collect them from there. But you could try locking her in with the nest boxes till she gets used to them. ( I'm thinking a week) then letting her out. I have been running my young girl into the coop when She start doing the I gotta go dance.

Bueatiful bird....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by