Young hen stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flapjackfarm, Mar 16, 2016.

1. flapjackfarm

flapjackfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

My almost year old Old English Game Bantam has stopped laying. We've recently moved and I relocated her and my roo to their new barn over a week ago; I haven't seen a single egg from her. She seems to be eating, drinking, and walking normally... I wonder if she's stressed? They refuse to leave the loft because of the ducks they share the 12x16 barn with. The loft does have a window in it, so they are getting light.
    Does anyone have suggestions or thoughts?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chickens do not like change. Change is stressful for them. You just moved them into an entirely unknown and brand new environment and add 'new' ducks to their living situation. That is a LOT of stress for them. Be patient. They will eventually adjust. However, if you have any male ducks, they should be kept completely separate from chickens. Drakes can and will try to mate chickens, but chickens are not equipped to handle the way a duck mates. They can end up killing hens.

3. flapjackfarm

flapjackfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you. My boyfriend and I were talking about sectioning off the barn to separate all of them again and I think we'll go ahead with it. My drake has always been kind, but he's become testy since my two duck hens began laying eggs a few days ago. I don't want any of them to get hurt and I don't want my girls to be stressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by