Young hen stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cverba, Aug 18, 2013.

1. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Hello fellow chicken lovers!

My RIR "Little Red" started laying at about 19 weeks- she laid for about a week and a half and since then, nothing!

I understand that not laying everyday while she figures it out is fine, but I'm worried that she might have an egg stuck? How would I determine this?

She's got oyster shells, layer feed, and plenty of greens. I've given her kale and high calcium greens. She does appear slimmer since she started laying, but I've seen her eating and drinking.

The other RIR "Cleo" is also doing her submissive dance (squats and cha-chas) but no eggs from her. I did get 2 eggs on one day the very first day of found eggs, but not since then. It is probable that only one laid and I just didn't see it from the day before. Cleo on the other hand is quite plump... how do you determine if a chicken is too fat to lay? I don't think she's fat, but she is larger than her sister.

Should I be concerned? Or when should I be concerned?

2. cverba

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Also, can the ground oyster shells be to large for them to ingest? Should I grind them down? I don't see them eating most of the oyster shells as they're a bit bigger (they grew up on crumbles).

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How long has the first bird not layed?

4. cverba

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Little Red hasn't laid for 4 days now. I've seen her nesting every day but no egg.

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's pretty normal for a new layer. It's common to have a pretty irregular pattern when they start laying, taking several days off especially after a good solid run of laying every day. I'd just give her time, she'll figure things out.

6. cverba

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Ok thanks. I just didn't know if I should be concerned or not. How long should I expect her not to lay? Can it go another several weeks for a new hen?

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    IMO they don't usually quit for over a week. It's just spotty at first.

8. cverba

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    I got two eggs today! So either Miss Lil Red laid two or both reds are laying... Just an update on it. Maybe they're week day layers ;)

9. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

The next thing you know they will be starting a union. :)

10. cverba

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    It's no sweat shop I'm working here! Not with 3 hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by