Young hen swollen eye treatment

Alichickens

Hatching
Nov 7, 2021
Hello all,
I'm new to the community but I raise 7 chickens with my family in the backyard with 3 sapphire gems and 4 buff orpingtons. I noticed yesterday one of my sapphire gem, who is the smallest in size and lowest at the pecking order had watery eyes. I never thought much of it and assumed perhaps it was due to the weather getting colder for the fall season as she would occasionally have a runny nose. Today however when I saw her, her eye had noticably gotten a lot more swollen. There was clear fluid buildup in her right eye socket but her left eye is completley fine. I heard there is some disease called coryza but I highly doubt she has. What I do suspect is since she is the most bottom at the pecking order she often is victim to brutal and vicious pecking by other chickens. I've observed especially during feeding, the two other sapphire gems peck at her comb and head from the window. These two sapphire gems due get bullied by the buff orpingtons and so they take it out on the smallest and weakest chicken. I am suspecting my smallest sapphire gem got pecked in the eye and it got infected because I noticed she also had a pecking wound on her comb that didn't exist the day before as evident by the black spot on her comb which was blood. My question to you all is what should I do for her treatment? I don't want to take her to the vet, at least not yet because it is costly and I am wondering if there is any medicine or treatment I can give her or should I just leave her alone and let it heal. Thanks again
20211106_152659 (1).jpg
20211106_152630 (1).jpg

Perris

Still learning
Jan 28, 2018
Gower, Wales
they may be pecking at her because she is ill and they don't want to catch it, so are driving her away. I would separate her, whatever the cause; if disease, it'll help stop it spreading to the rest of your flock, and if pecking, it'll give her a break from it while she heals. You will also be able to see her poo and know it is hers.

Swelling is not obvious from the photo. Does she have a runny nose or were you just speculating that she might get one? Any other symptoms?

Alichickens

Hatching
Nov 7, 2021
they may be pecking at her because she is ill and they don't want to catch it, so are driving her away. I would separate her, whatever the cause; if disease, it'll help stop it spreading to the rest of your flock, and if pecking, it'll give her a break from it while she heals. You will also be able to see her poo and know it is hers.

Swelling is not obvious from the photo. Does she have a runny nose or were you just speculating that she might get one? Any other symptoms?
I checked up on her today and her swelling has definitely healed. I don't think she was sick and I might have misinterpreted her runny nose as condensation. I'm assuming sometimes when it's cold the breath from the hen's nostrils condense or she may have drank water and had a wet beak. As of today her eye is slightly swollen but otherwise in good shape. While she had the swollen eye she ate, drank water, and made sounds normal. Thank you again for your help!

Top Bottom