Young Hen that doesn't seem to want to move or eat anything.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CobaltChick, Aug 23, 2013.

1. CobaltChick

CobaltChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    I've been on this website looking around for a while, but I still can't find the answer to one of my hen's behavior. Lately, I haven't been home as much because of my school sports. I'm usually out with my flock several hours a day during the summer because I love my girls (and guys) [​IMG] However, a few days ago I came back from practice and went outside to check on the crew. While 37 chickens rushed to greet me, there was one that hung back and didn't make a move even when I threw out some food and treats. She sits in the shade and doesn't want to move away from the spot. I haven't really seen her eat but I'm not watching her 24/7 either. There's no bloody poop, just so you know, so I don't think that its coccidiosis.

She's a buff orpington who's only about four months old. I've never really had a problem with my hens before involving diseases and I've had chickens for the last six years. I'd like to figure out what this is quickly. If anyone has any idea, it'd be greatly appreciated if you could clue me in on what's going on. Thanks

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Pick her up and check her weight (compared to normal feel for her). Check her vent for signs of lice or mites and treat her with poultry dust just in case. Make her stand assisted, and if she can handle it on her own let her, to check for injuries. Check the color of her comb. Feel her crop. Get back to us with the results and we can assist you better.

3. CobaltChick

CobaltChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Well, she's still young, so her comb isn't really red yet (the other hens are like that as well), but I didn't find any lice or mites on her. I let the flock out this morning as usual and she hung back for a second and then slowly walked out and joined the rest of them to eat. She's got the energy in her (I can get her to run pretty easily) but she just acts like she doesn't want to use it. Her crop feels pretty empty as well, probably because she hasn't been eating properly. She doesn't have any wounds anywhere on her body. Her tail is slightly down sometimes as I noticed this morning. But for the most part she just sits in the shade all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by