Young hen trampled by dog, can't stand

Konokou

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2020
Hello,

I've just picked up a young, 14 week old hen from a family who really don't want to cull, but arent home enough to be able to help.

They said she got trampled on by a dog and hurt her leg, and over a week it got wore to where she couldn't walk. For the past couple weeks she has been splayed, her right leg in the back and shaking, the other stuck in front :
received_184933699824568.jpeg

They said they called the vet and the vet advised her to have some aspirin crushed up in her water, and her legs rotated every few hours.

I've just gotten her home and given her a small bath to clean off her underside, and the poor thing is vibrating in what I assume to be pain. I tried rotating her legs a bit but the right one doesn't bend properly and I'm afraid it might be hurting her more.

20210314_185116.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll try to call a vet myself tomorrow, but I don't believe there are any nearby that will see poultry

Sorry about the injured pullet. I would consider putting her down if she is in pain and she has been lame for over a week. The leg positioning with one forward and one backward can be a sign of Mareks disease. She may have a bad injury, or she could have been showing signs when she was jumped on by the rooster. Hard to know. A chicken sling can be made to get her upright and rest her legs, while allowing her to eat and drink. She can rest lying down at night. You may want to try giving her 1/4 tablet of B complex daily for extra riboflavin. Here is some info on making a chicken sling chair:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Sorry about the injured pullet. I would consider putting her down if she is in pain and she has been lame for over a week. The leg positioning with one forward and one backward can be a sign of Mareks disease. She may have a bad injury, or she could have been showing signs when she was jumped on by the rooster. Hard to know. A chicken sling can be made to get her upright and rest her legs, while allowing her to eat and drink. She can rest lying down at night. You may want to try giving her 1/4 tablet of B complex daily for extra riboflavin. Here is some info on making a chicken sling chair:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you.

The family I got her from said that she didn't have any signs of Mareks and the vet didn't think that was it. They really don't want to have to put her down, but I'm starting to feel like I've gotten in over my head with this one.

I put together a quick test sling earlier and tried her in it, but even then her legs don't hang down, the right one stays stuck out behind.

I feel so bad for her but I also feel bad for the family, they have two young kids who love this chicken and I don't want to let them down :(

I am sorry. Chances are she may not get better. It doesn’t hurt to try to help her. Maybe the kids will get close to some other chickens in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom