Young hen walks like a penguin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Causin Chaos, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't know what happened to her. I found her in the yard on the ground acting like she couldn't walk. Looked her over didn't see any signs of trauma, I have kept her inside now for a week, I was thinking maybe a broke pelvis? Shes still walking like a penguin. My question is if she did brake her pelvis will she heal up and walk like regular chickens do or will she walk like a penguin?

http://vid252.photobucket.com/albums/hh24/CausinChaos/hen.mp4 check video out of her walking

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is she?
    Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
    What do her feet/legs look like - any swelling at the hocks/joints?
    Does she seem like she is in pain when you manipulate the legs and wings?

It could be an injury, vitamin deficiency, neurological/developmental disorder or disease like Marek's or Mycoplasma G.

Make sure she is eating and drinking, you can add some poultry vitamins to her water or mix some in with her chick starter to make a paste.
    Look for one that has B vitamins - if you can't find them use a human B-Complex vitamin (no iron), crush it up and add it to her feed.

In case it is injury limit her activity for a few days and see if there is any improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by