1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young hen with bloody closed eye. Sick or injured?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PolloGuapo, Mar 21, 2012.

1. PolloGuapo

PolloGuapo New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    A few days ago I noticed that my 3 month old hen had one half closed eye. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. Her breathing is normal, poop looks normal, she seems to have a normal activity level. Here is a picture of her eye yesterday.

[​IMG]

I woke up this morning and things have taken a turn for the worse. The eye is now bloody and completely shut as you can see in the pic below.
    [​IMG]

She is in a flock with 4 other hens who seem completely healthy. They have developed a bad habit of huddling together in their nest boxes and I am worried she may be getting pecked in the eye at night. But my bigger fear is that she is sick with something and getting sicker.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening to this sad hen?

Thanks!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Injury not illness. She is going to need to be separated until that eye heals. She likely got pecked. Some Neosporin applied to the site should clean it right up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by