young hen with chronic runny droppings, not laying anymore

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kathrync, Aug 11, 2014.

1. kathrync

kathrync Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    I have a hen, about 10 months old, who has always had a lot of brown, runny droppings. It concerned me at first, but she seemed healthy otherwise, so I didn't do anything about it. She came into lay in April, and laid eggs well for a couple of months, but her egg production started to decline and now she has stopped laying altogether. She has laid one egg in the past two months! I've read that heat can affect egg production (it's been in the upper 90s lately), but the rest of my flock is laying fine. She does seem thirstier than the other birds, since she goes crazy for every puddle of water she can find. I keep hoping she'll start laying again, but I'm getting impatient. Could this be a disease? I'm doubtful because whatever it is, it hasn't affected my other birds. Or could this chicken have some sort of chronic health problem, like diabetes? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. snoopysflock

snoopysflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Northern north carolina
    it sounds a lot like worms to me. worm her and see what happens.

3. kathrync

kathrync Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    What should I give her for worms?

4. snoopysflock

snoopysflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Northern north carolina
    i would put de in her water and when she drinks it she will be wormed but you can also give her ivromection

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by