young hen with damaged eye

justsam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
got home late tonight to find two things. first off my girls had knocked there water bottle off the side of the cage. second my silky mix hen has what looks to be a damaged eye. normally they all have plenty of water and right now they have a huge block of scratch only 4 hens are sharing plus they get corn and purina chow. these hens have all been caged together for about a month. they have not had any problems. do squirrels typically attack hens?? i have a butt load of them all fighting over the block of scratch could they be hurting my hens for the food? could my hens have fought over the lack of water. i was at work for 10 hours so it could of fell off during the time frame of about 11 hours or so. i will post a pic of her tomorrow when its light outside. it doesnt look pecked out but it does look very swollen and gray all surrounding the area. any advise on how to deal???? i dont have the money to run her to the vet. thanks everyone.

Ill wait for the picks.
caf.gif

I would think it's most likely a pecking injury. Whatever it is, to rinse with a little water or (preferably) saline and use some ophthalmic ointment will make her feel better and hopefully promote healing as well.

I think most feed stores carry a tube of ophthalmic ointmnent. You can also use plain Neosporin ointment -- for this I use the brand name product.

here are some pics. i also notice my other hens are fine and the hen with a hurt eye is shaking her head and rubbing it on the shoulder area a lot. other then that she seems fine actually. she is eating, drinking, walking. she is about 6 months old too btw if that helps. and lays eggs for me, light brown speckled. thanks you for your time

I agree with Flockwatcher. Flush the eye with saline solution in case there's debris or dirt in it, then apply neosporin in the eye for about 5 days.
If she continues shaking her head and rubbing the eye on her shoulder, there are 2 other possiblities; the onset of a respiratory issue or eyeworm. Watch for any sneezing, wheezing, gurgling, foamy eye, snotty nostrils for respiratory symptoms. For eyeworm; look closely into her eye and if you see a tiny thin white in color worm, it's eyeworm. Give us an update if the saline flush and neosporin doesnt treat the problem.

Last edited:
she should be fine. i had a hen who got bit by a dog and her eye was all swollen. half of her face was HUGE! we didn't think she could make it but now she is doing just fine and only has one eye but can be like all the others. oh ya and try to put some neosporin ( the stuff people use) and GENTLY! spread it over her eye. it will help it. keep us updated!

It never ceases to amaze me--I just came to this forum to look for info. about the very same issue! and here it is, right near the top!

I went to see my flock at lunchtime today, and my faverolle--the lowest in the pecking order--had a right eye that was obviously irritated (red and closed most of the time.)
I'm 99% sure it's due to a pecking injury. There's no oozing or secretions and lately my wyandotte has been "helping" her out by plucking her beard and muff feathers...and she just sits and allows it, as though she enjoys it! She's also a constant target of my little banty EE, who is VERY possessive of any food she finds.
Poor thing! It's one thing after another with her!

Back
Top Bottom