Young hen with spraddle leg, and an agressive older hen. Any fixes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Micnew, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Micnew

Micnew New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    I recently received a young hen, not sure how old she is. She has laid one egg for us but her comb is just now growing in. Can i still try to treat her for spraddle leg? Or is she too far gone to try and fix it?

I also have another hen, they both big black chickens with red feathers on their breasts and neck. Red star something or the other i think their breed is. The bigger hen will not stop picking on her and chasing her to the back of the coop. I've read around and saw a few threads about using Vics on her back to try and keep "Erie" my older hen from picking on her. Anyone had any luck with this? Thank you ahead of time.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Can you describe her leg positioning?

3. Micnew

Micnew New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    I can. It's her right leg and it's not all the way behind her but off to the side. If she's really feeling good she can kind of stand on it. To help her keep balance but when she gets tired it ends up off to the side and slightly behind her. I can post a picture if that would help.

4. ChickensAreSweet

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/220/slipped-tendon-perosis
    Could it be perosis?

Are her toes curled (curly toe paralysis)?
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.... SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES.pdf
    look under "legs" and "paralysis" if needed

I don't know what the diagnosis is, but thought these links might help.

Usually with "spraddle leg" in a chick, you only have a few days to correct it. So if it is a sudden onset thing and since she is older, it may be something else...but I realize you just got her and don't know.

Also look up Mareks.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  5. Micnew

Micnew New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    They said she came out of the egg like this. She has learned to cope for the most part with it and they didn't want to kill her so they gave her to us since we only had one chicken. Thank you for all the info though!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  6. ChickensAreSweet

Oh if she had spraddle leg that wasn't treated then I don't think you should try to treat her with splints. Chickens are pretty good about getting around on one leg if necessary.

For your bully chicken, you can put pinless peepers on her (blinders) if necessary...they help some people anyway.

7. Micnew

Micnew New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    Alright. I will try the pinless peepers for my bully and hope that helps. Like i said, she is pretty good at getting around except when she gets tired so i will just keep an eye on her. Thank you all for your advice.

8. ChickensAreSweet

I haven't tried pinless peepers myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but I have read many others saying on BYC it helped their bullies to stop bullying. But then there are people who said they didn't like them too....

Also I read that if you place them in warm water it helps to soften them up, before applying them.

9. ChickensAreSweet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by