Young hen with squishy crop, good breath, smelly droppings, etc.

Prairie Orca

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
RM of Rosser, Manitoba (Canada)
1) What type of bird, age and weight
Barred rock, little over six months, weighs the same as others her age and size

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I noticed yesterday she was hanging around the laying area and was just sitting around, so I thought maybe she was waiting to lay an egg. Today she was still sitting around, so I checked her over and noticed that her crop was squishy - not bloated or anything, just squishy, as if there's fluid in there, and it was obvious she hadn't eaten. I have not observed her eating in the past couple days, but I did see her drink yesterday. I haven't noticed any foul smell from her mouth.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since yesterday.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No. Oldest hen - Yappy - has stopped laying and was sluggish for a while and wasn't eating, but she's doing better and it looks like she's just molting.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Comb has black marks here and there, but it may be unrelated.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I've had them locked in the coop for a little over a week now due to a predator kiling one of them, and now there's snow on the ground and it's pretty cool so they are reluctant to go outside at all. I forgot to give them grit before giving them broccoli a few days ago, so it may be that.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Regular water. Before she stopped eating she was eating layer feed, and a few days ago I gave them all a few small pieces of broccoli.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Rear end is caked a bit with droppings - looks white mostly, maybe some green. Poop is liquidy and has brown and green, maybe with white... and it really smells (triggers my sensitive gag reflex).

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Isolated (in the house), drained the crop a bit (waiting for Mom to come home so I can do it more effectively, as there was fluid coming out and it did not smell). Even with the few drops that came out, she seems to have perked up a bit. I dipped her beak in the water I've given her, and after a couple more assisted drinks she took a drink on her own.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'd rather do it myself, but if it's absolutely necessary for her well-being, calling a vet may be an option.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Unless you guys want a picture of a poopy butt, I'll refrain from pictures because there's not much to see.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I forget the measurements of the coop, but the chickens have more than 3sq feet per bird, I think it might be 5sq feet. Straw bedding in the main area, shavings in the "pen" (kept open currently as no chickens need to be isolated). Straw has been changed recently, shavings will be changed pending the receiving of new bales. Temperatures outside have been dipping below freezing now, but the heat from the chickens is keeping the coop from getting to freezing point.

I've got all of the same things going with my 7 month old Buff Orpington. I'll be interested to see what others say about your girl. I'm looking at the possibility of e. coli (bacterial infection) but have not 100% come to that conclusion yet. Good luck with your girl!

E. coli? I hope whatever it is, your Buff Orpington recovers fully. And thank you.
smile.png

Mom and I did the draining procedure earlier, and we got a lot of the fluid out. There was a small hint of yellow in it, which was noticeable when it landed on the designated white surface. Doesn't feel like all if it is out, but with the five attempts we made I thought any more would cause too much stress. She's perked up even more, and drank more water.

I noticed on the second attempt that there was indeed a smell, and when I sniffed more closely it had a faint, nasty odour. So I think it's sour crop.

Now to look up the treatments because I forgot again... (tips, anyone?)

Back
Top Bottom