Young hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kutley, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Kutley

Kutley Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2016
    I have a 14 wk Maran hen . Yesterday she started crouching or squatting at all times. She does eat and drink. I have put her in a warm bath. Used vet Rx under wings. . She walks but it's a squat walk. Sits most of time. Any ideas ? My other chicks are fine

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet?

Keep her separated.

Has she pooped?
    What do you normally feed?
    Is she abdomen swollen, bloated, hard, soft, normal?
    Any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, runny nose/eyes?

Try to encourage her to drink, she can become dehydrated quickly. If you have them, give her some poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell.

Try giving her another soak in a warm bath with epsom salts. Gently feel about 1" inside her vent with a lubricated finger. She seems a bit young to begin laying, but check to see if you feel an egg.
    Inspect her legs, hocks and the bottom of her feet to make sure there is no swelling/injury.

Keep us posted.

3. Kutley

Kutley Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2016
    Thanks for your help. She is eating drinking and pooping. I do have her in a cage. We will see how it goes. Poor babe

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Sounds like it could be Marek's disease, but worth trying vitamin supplement to see if that will help. Otherwise, just keep her warm and well fed and as happy as possible. From my experience, she may make a sudden recovery or she may deteriorate. Let's hope it is the former.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by