Young hens being broody

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rudys Flock, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rudys Flock

Rudys Flock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    I have 4 hens and 2 roosters. We got 12 baby chicks and this is what we have left. We have a lot of trouble with hawks so my husband built a little completely closed in pin for them and put a little house on the back, any way those chicks are not about 7 months old and very good layers

I have one hen that actually went to the little house, away from the rest of the hens and made a nest and started laying eggs, we thought she might want to sit on them.

She is still spending most of her time in the yard with the rest of the flock, but now my other hens have found her nest and they are all laying eggs there.

How long can I leave these eggs before she actually starts to sit on them. And if she isn't broody how long can I still use these eggs to eat. It has still been in the 50's at night and only in the 60 during the day, however it is going to get into the upper 70's this weekend.

Any reply's would help. I had an old hen that sat for 8 weeks she only gave up when we put some babies under her.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Laying aggs in a different nest isn't neccessarily a sign that anone is going broody. The real indicator is when they stay on the nest 24/7. If no one is sitting on them, they should not be developing, and will probably be fine to eat for several days.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Doesn't sound broody at all, sorry. I'd collect the eggs and go ahead and eat them. If you want to mark some bait/sacrifice eggs to leave in the nest you can see if that tempts anyone to go broody, otherwise I'd work on getting her laying back in the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by