Young hens laying huge eggs, should I be worried?

Feather314

Hatching
Apr 1, 2020
My hens are about 9-10 months old and have been laying BIG eggs lately. Not every day, but a lot. Is this normal to happen every few days, or should I be worried?

When they started laying, the eggs were small, as normal, then they slowly came to normal size, and then they started to get huge, and now, with my 10 hens, I get about 3 big eggs a day and the rest are normal.

It would be so sad for hens this young to become egg-bound, but I don't know if that's even possible at this age?

My hens are about 9-10 months old and have been laying BIG eggs lately. Not every day, but a lot. Is this normal to happen every few days, or should I be worried?

When they started laying, the eggs were small, as normal, then they slowly came to normal size, and then they started to get huge, and now, with my 10 hens, I get about 3 big eggs a day and the rest are normal.

It would be so sad for hens this young to become egg-bound, but I don't know if that's even possible at this age?
@Feather314 define small, normal, and huge in gram weights please.
And/or post pics with something for scale like a dollar bill.

Young layers can have varying egg sizes. After about a year they should be laying mostly normal eggs. I’m guessing the huge ones are double the size of your normal ones. They are probably double yolked.

I don’t think egg size plays to much of a role in egg binding as it has to do with the muscles working the egg out incorrectly?

I have a variety of 17 hens. The 4 Leghorns are smallest hens and lay white eggs, four daily — they’re the largest eggs of the 13 other hens. Get double yookers often

Last edited:

I have an amberlink about that age form the time that it started to lay it has payed huge double yoke eggs every-other day. I feel a little bad for it and once every 3-4 weeks we get a triple from her about the size of a small goose egg. we know it is only one chicken laying the eggs because we separated them till we find out which one was doing it. She never lays normal size eggs

Back
Top Bottom